- The Smart Nestbox must have a 3 month energy autonomy.
- Industry standard RFID tags are used.
- Must withstand harsh weather conditions (wind, snow, rain).
- Low cost design using off the shelf components.
- Easy installation and intuitive data extraction.
- December '16
- Project kickoff!
- June '17
- Revision 1 prototype assembled and tested.
- October '17
- Change of RFID technology, design revision 2.
- December '17
- Assemble revision 2.
- February '18
- Additial requirement: weight measurement.
- March '18
- First system-level tests of the prototype with outdoor nestbox and actual owls.
- October '18
- Beginning of batch production of 40 devices for a research project.
- January '19
- Installation of the 40 devices.
This project is open-source and open-hardware. Documentation is available on the Octanis wiki.